Search for Names
Last Name:
First Name:
   
Our Family Genealogy Pages

Histories

» Show All     «Prev 1 2     » Slide Show

Northmoor



Gardner's History, Gazetter and Directory for Oxfordshire 1852, described Northmoor as:

North Moor or North More is a parish in the detached part of this hundred situate on the border of Berkshire, on the river Isis. It contains 1,910 acres, according to the parliamentary return, and 2030 according to the local admeasuremet; its population in 1881 was 368; and in 1841, 367 souls. The amount of the assessed property is 8,011; and the rateable value is 8,240. The society of St. John's college, Oxford, and the princial landowners; and the archbishop of York is lord of the manor.

The Village of North Moor is about 6 1/2 miles W.S.W from Oxford.

The Church dedicated to St. Denis is an old Norman structure, consisting of nave, trancepts, chancel, and west tower, containing six bells. The altar is of stone, and the altar piece is a representation of the taking down from the Cross. The living is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of St. John's college, Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev. henry Heming, B.D. The tithes were commuted in 1840. The incumbents stipend is about 140. erp annum.The Parsonage is a good old building in the Elizabethan style. There is a free school here supported by subscription.

Moreton is a small hamlet in this parish, some distance south of the village.

Charties. - The church estate consists of the Red Lion Inn, a small piece of land, and a few cottages. Richard Lydall, in 1718 left two cottages, 5 1/2 acres of land now worth about 15. a year, the rents to be expended in recasting the great bell, setting up a clock, and in keeping the bells, tower and clock in repair. The bells were recast and new hung about the year 1765. A rent charge of 2. per annum is received from a charity, of which, Standlake receives one-half and Northmore a quarte; it is understood to arise from a bequest of Thomas Weale. The rent of about an acre of land, purchased by Sir Edmund Warcupp's and Thomas Martin's gifts, is also given to the poor.

The third part of the rents of about 9 acres of land purchased with the bequest of Francis White is also given to the poor of Northmore. The other two thirds belong to the poor of Fifield. The lord of the manor pays 1.10s. per annum in lieu, it is understood of winter commons.

Hemin Rec. Henry, B.D.
Nalder The Misses

Farmers

Eagle Rachel
Keen William
Packer James, Rectory farm
Pinnock William
Walter John, Moreton
Walter Moses, Moreton
Walter Wm., sen., Moreton
Walter Wm., jun., Moreton
Watkins William

Miscellany

Baker John, vict., Dun Cow
Belcher Ann, miller
Gardner Wm., basket maker
Neal Thomas, baker, &e.
Walter Thos., vict., Red Lion

Letters are received through the Witney Post Office.

Comments on above information

You will have noticed that a Gardner William basket maker is mentioned under the list of trades people within Northmoor. This is probably William Gardner 2nd and is during the period of decline of his trade as basket maker. A Kelly's Directory of 1891 makes no mention of a basket maker within the village

Until at least 1876, Northmoor had no Post Office of its own. But by 1891 George Baston was running a shop and post office in Northmoor from his house. He was still there in 1900, but by 1908 Mrs. Baston was running it on her own.
To see a map of Northmoor dated around the turn of the century see:

Linked toNorthmoor, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

» Show All     «Prev 1 2     » Slide Show




  

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2007, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.